Genius Hour... So Far

One of my biggest take-aways about Genius Hour thus far is that it takes work! Oftentimes it's easy to misunderstand passion with hobby, and hobbies are generally more easy-going and require less time and effort. However, to create a successful Genius Hour project you need to be passionate about your topic - and pursuing a passion takes a great deal of grit and determination. The difference? When you're working on what you're passionate about the payoff can be especially rewarding. Your interest, engagement, determination and personal investment in your Genius Hour project is what motivates you to continue to pursue your passions and work hard on a daily basis.

So... What's my Genius Hour Question?

What de-stressing/relaxation method works best for me and how will I implement different de-stressing methods in the classroom?

Like I said, in order to create a successful Genius Hour project it is essential to choose something of personal interest. This topic in particular interests me because I have always struggled with stress and anxiety, especially during the school year. As a future teacher, it's critical that I first and foremost understand what kind of de-stressing and relaxation methods that work for me before I can begin to teach my students how they can deal with their own stress. It is only then can I begin to implement different de-stressing strategies and methods into the classroom environment. I must admit... It is a bit ironic that the most impactful thing I've learned about Genius Hour thus far is that the amount of work it takes, considering work is usually what adds to my stress most often. However, I've learned that when you're working hard on something you're passionate about you become self-motivated and you push yourself harder than usual to feel a sense of personal accomplishment when you begin to make progress. This is something I definitely want to teach my future students. With my future students in mind, I created a Pitkochart that could be useful for my students to check out when discovering their own de-stressing and relaxation methods. Check it out here! Overall, I'm excited about the progress I've made so far in discovering what forms of de-stressing methods that work for me - stay tuned!


Comments